Monday, December 6, 2010

Sadness

I don't eat meat much (I didn't eat a single bite until I was 24!), but recently I've been eating and eating and eating and never getting full - a consequence of this persistent low-grade cold, perhaps. So, I had a gyro wrap for lunch; and it hit the spot.

Anyhow, in a crowded gyro place near Cal's campus, the Telegraph madness, I ordered the wrap and sat down in the less-busy-than-it-seemed place. The blaring middle eastern music supplied about a 30-percent crazier atmosphere than the actual lunch-rush din itself. The spot was more-or-less packed. I sat alone at a four-top, and a girl had to sit down on the other side because of a lack of other seats. Every now and then it's nice just to talk with strangers. We started talking, she had an accent. I asked her where she was from. Palestine.

I didn't go there for a while, but then I did. I asked about the Occupation. Her whole being saddened. A rock, the size and fragility of a powdery limestone, cactus-strewn boulder, crushed her soul/face.

I asked her what should be done. "Two states. It's the reality of the situation." Then we changed the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment